Monday, August 13, 2012

NBA and USA men's basketball

So I know this is a little more frequent than you're used to, but that's good.  Gotta get some posts in before school starts.  And that's soon!  So if you're a basketball fan at all, here you go.  If not, read for the pleasure of my fantastic writing or simply click the X of your current tab. 


Topic 1:  Dwight Howard Trade
-          First of all, the timing of the trade was horrible.  I wanted all 12 USA players concentrating on the gold medal not the NBA.  Even though Durant said he didn't care about the trade I can't help thinking that it was on his mind although he ended up playing just fine.  Second, the NBA now has 2 star power, Yankee like, teams.  I don't add OKC in the mix because all their stars were via the draft.  At least the Lakers and Heat are in separate conferences so we can potentially see a Finals showdown between the NBA version of Dream Teams.  Third, I still don't understand why the NBA disallowed Chris Paul to join the Lakers but is okay with Dwight Howard.  Kobe playing alongside a center is much more effective then playing along a point guard.  And finally, I would not pick the Lakers to win the Finals next season right now.  Even with Howard and Nash, L.A. has its work cut out against the Western Conference and most likely the Heat.  Other than Howard, all the other guys are winding their careers down while the Heat are in their prime and OKC is on the upswing.  Fink About It and tell me the Lakers chances.

Topic 2:  Men’s Basketball Gold Medal Game vs Spain
 
-          Tyler, Zach, Kim, and Jackie are my witnesses…I predicted a close game and got one.  With all due respect to the other competing teams, Spain had the only legitimate chance to knock off USA basketball.  The weakness on team USA was obvious in the post and that's where Spain was at its best.  LeBron defended a 4 or 5 the entire game very well, Chandler and Love did okay, and even Carmelo got down/dirty a bit to help inside.  The Spanish guards played well in the first half but Kobe, Paul, and even Durant were much better perimeter defenders after half. The game time was earlier than it had been for team USA which was a concern.  It was like one of those March Madness games that begins at 11am and is prime for an upset special.  But, the USA managed to play somewhat uptempo and ultimately ran Spain out of gas.  Plus with Durant on your team it’s awful tough to lose.  The guy is a beast when it comes to putting points on the board.  And of course, LeBron was a constant and the closer.

Topic 3: Coach K
       
-          When Coach K took over as the USA basketball coach our international recent record was horrible by American standards.  At the 2002 World Championships we didn’t even play for a medal.  At the 2004 Olympics a bronze medal was our accomplishment.  Then USA basketball made Coach K the man.  In 6-7 years he coached the team to a 62-1 record.  A bronze medal in the 2006 World Championships was the only blemish.  However, 3 gold medals since then has firmly put USA basketball back at the top of the basketball world.  What impresses me most about Coach K is how he coached this team the last 3 international competitions.  Team USA played in your face man defense similar to what ACC competition has faced the last 30 years.  His philosophy didn’t change one bit.  He only took 12 players on each team but held tryouts everytime thus cutting NBA players that weren’t quite good enough to make the team.  Imagine cutting an NBA player!  Then he played the best players every game, not feeding anyones ego but building a team.  NBA players sat and watched their teammates while they were a DNP due to Coach K’s discretion.  What he’s done is one of the best coaching jobs ever in any sport.  While he was given plenty of talent he still had to use them correctly and not all coaches know how to make that happen.  Thank you Coach K!  Finally, now that Coach K has said he is done with team USA it will be a great challenge to find someone who can keep the program running.  Fink About It and tell me who you think should be the next coach. 

Topic 4:  My Olympic Moment 2012  
-          I know there were better moments.  I know basketball isn’t a classic Olympic sport.  I know there are better stories.  But for me, watching the USA men's basketball team win gold is my favorite 2012 moment.  Seeing the celebration after winning gold gave me the best eeeebeeejeeebeees during the London Games.    Why?  Well it’s simple really.  Besides being an avid basketball fan there was no other team or athlete, at least from the USA, with more pressure or higher expectations than what Americans have for USA basketball.  Gold isn’t good enough.  Winning every game is the expectation, period.  If Phelps doesn’t win gold every event then people still say, “he had a great career anyways.”  If Bolt doesn’t win gold, some Americans are probably pleased.  If the women’s basketball team wouldn’t have won there would have been many displeased Americans but they would’ve received much more grace than the men.  I can hear it now…”they’re overpaid, cry-babies, selfish, undisciplined, can’t shoot, and definitely not the teams we’ve once had.”  That’s what would’ve been said if the 2012 wouldn’t have won gold so to watch them do it with all that pressure was very gratifying for me.  Congrats Team USA and continue to match the high standard set for you! 

5 comments:

  1. Topic one. The Howard trade makes the lakers interesting. The thunder are still the best in west and I still do not think its that close. Yes Howard brings enormous talent to the lakers, but can Mike Brown meld all these players into a true team? My initial thought is no. He has never had any team close to the talent level he'll have in LA. The biggest question I have is how will Kobe and Howard co-exist. Is Howard okay with only getting 10 shots to Kobe when in reality it should be the opposite? Can Pau return to Pau of 2008 where he was the best all around big man in the game. As a spurs fan, I am hoping the Howard trade creates turmoil!

    Topic 2: The Spain games just reiterated to me how fortunate I am to be witnessing greatness. More specifically, cp3 and Kevin love. These two came awayas my favorite Olympians from this year. Cp just showed an innate ability to control the tempo and score when it was needed. Kevin love for always being able to stretch the floor and do all the so called, dirty work. He may do the dirty work but I see it as the necessary work. Okay, I can hear everyone saying greatness is Lebron and Durant. Well yeah, that is easy to see!

    Topic 3: Coach k was superb and that is no surprise to me. He never gets the so called elite talent at duke, but he does always build a team and that is what USA needed after Larry Brown. I would like to see Brad Stevens coach team USA. Yes I said it, the Butler coach! It's not like Coach K ever coached any elite players at duke except Grant Hill. So why not Stevens?

    Topic four. My lasting memory from these games is watching Us women's soccer exact revenge on Japan. The women's soccer game has much more scoring than men's soccer and is constant action. Thanks again us Womens national team for bringing the gold home for the third straight Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brycen. Love this Kieth Keep up the ideas

      Delete
    2. Stevens is an interesting thought. You would think we need someone that coaches a ton of talent though not the other way around. Maybe Calipari. He'd be controversial.

      Delete
  2. Kieth, excellent job my friend. I definitely like that you posted something earlier. So here is my two cents on the topics:

    Topic 1: I agree with Bryce, it makes the lakers very interesting. I have zero faith in mike brown and what he does so if they don't win I'm sure he'll be fired. I don't think he should have been hired in the first place! To me it all comes down to Kobe and if he's willing to let Nash handle the ball all the time and realize he doesnt need to shoot 25 times and score 30! If Kobe doesn't adapt then I see it going up in flames. What I'm hoping for is Howard leaves as a FA and doesn't sign with the lakers. He should realize Nash will be 40 and Kobe is 34, but with the legs of someone who is 38. This whole thing just makes me despise the lakers even more. Has there been anyone as lucky as Kobe to be able to play with the players he has in his career!! Good lord. Anyhow I still say its Heat vs Thunder in finals again, give me lebron and Durant all day!!

    Topic 2: Kieth you were right about it being close and I was incorrect. I don't think Spain could've played any better. What it came down to was we had lebron and Durant and Spain didn't!! What I take away from this olympic basketball is the fact that if you're not watching the nba you're missing out completely. If you don't appreciate what lebron, Durant, CP3 and others are doing than you're missing greatness. Yes the nba was bad after the Jordan years but this is the best it has ever been since! I get tired of hearing people say they're all selfish and only care about the money. Yes there are those players but they're far fewer than in the past. So if you're not watching the greatness that is Lebron and Durant than shame on you for missing out on what they're doing. And once you miss it we may not see it again for 20 more years. I can't wait for the NBA!!

    Topic 3: Coach K was amazing with What he did with team USA. To get 12 guys with all those egos to buy in and play for each other was great. If you don't think it didn't mean something to them watch them celebrate like kids after they won! As much as I despise duke, I respect what coach k has done. He will be tough to replace on team USA that's for sure. To me what proves how great he is when you talk to the players. They all love playing for him and believe in what he's doing, and to get nba guys to buy in is amazing. So my hat is off to coach k and his great run with team USA!!

    Topic 4: My lasting memory from the Olympics is women's soccer and men's basketball. I thought the way our women fought back in the semis and got past Japan for the gold was awesome. Considering they lost to Japan in the world cup, and being able to bounce back was fun to watch. I agree with you kieth, even though we were expected to take the gold it still was exciting. And like you said if we would have lost everyone would have been complaining. I think it's tougher to go out there and do something when you're expected rather than being the underdog.

    Anyhow great job kieth, keep up the excellent work.

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Topic 2: thanks Tyler for your insight and appreciation for the NBA and these great players that continue to strive for better even though they are great and get paid ... A lot. Your thought helped me to appreciate them more.

      Reading and enjoying the news Kieth, I like your writing. Thanks,

      Kurt

      Delete