Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Finally! Mariner Bliss!


-          Thanks to ESPN.com and Directv I caught and recorded the last 4 outs of Felix Hernandez’s perfect game Wednesday.  As I watched him do what only 22 other pitchers have done in MLB history a few thoughts came to my mind.  First, what a day for Mariner fans.  Not that I’m a huge Mariner fan, but if they were playing anyone I’d root for the Mariners.  So I’m a “small” fan.  And let me tell you it is difficult to even be a “small” fan.  Since 2001 the Mariners have been horrible.  Okay, to be fair in 2002 and 2003 they were actually pretty good.  And in 2007 the team was doing really well but Mike Hargrove decided to part ways mid-season and again all fans, even “small” ones were disappointed.  That’s 11 straight seasons without playoffs!  It’s sad when the “small” fans like me browse the MLB standings looking to see how far from last place in all of baseball the M’s are.  So watching the end of a perfect game by Felix, the only one in Mariner’s history, was basically like watching the M’s win the World Series.  If they don’t win another game all season, who cares?  In fact those of us that are “small” fans don’t watch right now anyway and we won’t start.  Let’s just soak up the greatness of the perfect game.  Another thought rolling through my mind as Felix was mobbed was thinking about him individually.  The guy was heralded a dominator from the get-go.  And even though it seems like sometimes he should do more, he hasn’t disappointed.  I mean what can he do?  He pitches for the Mariners!!!  Felix has won 57% of his games since joining the M’s in ‘05.  At the foul line that’s no good, but in baseball it’s better than decent and when you are playing for the cellar dweller continually 57% is Grand Coulee Dam good!  Forgive me if I get a little riled up tonight, I stunk it up at city league softball and I don’t know how to spell riled.  Since 2005 the M’s have won a surprising 45% of their games so Felix is 12% above his team’s winning %.  Case closed.  And lastly, I couldn’t help but think only a few weeks back I was actually “finking” the M’s may need to part ways and hit the jackpot with a blockbuster trade.  See, this is why I’m not a “die-hard” and now you may never “fink” again because you’re probably thinking “traitor!”  A “die-hard” would never consider letting King Felix go.  Plus when the M’s trade they get guys like D.J. Mitchell and Danny Farquhar.  Seriously???  Who the H-E-double is that?  So the season is lost and the future isn’t bright but at least we can always remember the day King Felix, with those gold king K signs in the backdrop, pitching a perfect game.  Even the “small” fans of us.        

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you appreciate todays incredible perfect game by King Felix, but it's clear you haven't tuned in for a full 9 innings of Ms baseball in quite some time. To say the future isn't bright misses the point of this entire 2012 team campaign. Montero, Ackley, Smoak, Seager, Felix Jaso, and a Coach who has some commitment to consistency and hard work. It has taken years to rebound from how far in the gutter Bill Bavasi took this team. You will be pleasantly surprised next year. It might even get worse before it gets better this season, but this organization is finally on track towards the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only watched one full game of the mariners and that was the combined no hitter. I would've watched this too if for only history sake, but work got in the way! Anyhow, I would only pay to see the King pitch. There is not a single other Mariner on this team that is worth the price of admission. I am so tired of Justin Smoak and his constant whiffs and second chances. I would just waive him and bring up Zunino when he's transitioned to first, at least that is what should be done. As I am writing this, I am realizing I know many more mariners players than I thought. I have no faith in management or player development, though. The last player who was hyped to be good and actually was???? Felix. I do not agree with trading him for players as these so called prospects rarely turn out to be anything. My case in point is Justin Smoak. I am tired of waiting for the mariners to get their (bleep) together. The mariners will never be my team, who knows if they'll be here anyhow, I mean no one goes to watch this team.

    Brycen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Average attendance has gone down from around 27,000 per game in 2009 to about 22,000 per game so far this year (26th out of 30 in the league). Saying no one watches this team isn't true (remember their LARGE tv contracts), but it is concerning to see the numbers continue to drop and prospects continue to flounder. I have watched closely this year and last and there is a marked difference in this year's team attitude and effort. I realize the prospects aren't pulling their weight quite yet, but I do see the Ms better positioned personnel wise than they were 2-3 years ago. Smoak and Ackley have been very frustrating to watch, but you've got to stick with them. I am looking forward to Zunino as well.

      Delete
  3. Baseball is borning! Expect in person.

    Zach

    ReplyDelete