Thursday, August 9, 2012

Buffet of Topics

First post too long, second post too short.  Let's see if I can figure the portion size out for number 3.  After considering a number of topics I've decided it's best to go with a few this week.

Topic 1:  Olympic Medal Count
Leaders

Total
1
United States392526
90
2
China372419
80
3
Great Britain251314
52
4
Russia122123
56
5
Korea1276
25

- Do you care how many medals each country has?  Apparently some people do because on every sports website the Olympic Medal Standings pop up.  Yet I haven't seen any articles about it.  The medal standings is one of those things we want to see but not discuss.  You know the type I'm talking about don't you?  Well anyways here's the deal with the medal count.  Currently, the USA has taken possession of first place.  And you know what???  They should!  Not because of my patriotism do I make this statement, but because of shear numbers.  The USA has 534 athletes competing in the games.  China...379.  In fact, Great Britain/ N. Ireland has the most athletes at 557 so really they should be a top the leaderboard.  Now this is somewhat misleading as obviously not all athletes compete individually.  And China does have more than a billion (seriously) people than the USA, but still, you the see the numbers competing.  GO USA.  Keep it up! 

Topic 2:  PGA Golf Tournament

- The final major of the year is here and the main topic is Tiger Woods.  Can he win another major?  Do you want him to win another major?  Will he break the record?  He's 5 away from Jack Nicklaus' major record of 18 wins, but hasn't won since 2008.  Honestly, I have no preference either way.  If he does then it probably makes him the greatest golfer of all-time.  If he doesn't he still is one of the greatest.  Sports hasn't had a more dominating athlete in the last 20 years.  I will say one thing he may have going for him.  If Ernie Els can win the Open Championship Woods should be able to win again also.  Els is old, so is Woods.

Topic 3:  Penn State Vacated Wins

- I find it very interesting some former Penn State players are wanting to appeal the NCAA's decision to vacate Penn State Football victories.  I like the idea.  I don't see why a coach's record can't be separate from the team's.  If Paterno's wins need to be vacated then strip him.  But why punish all the innocent players?  Did what Sandusky have going on really impact wins?  In fact Paterno's record probably would've been better if he wouldn't have been concerned with an assistant molesting kids.  That's if Paterno really knew anyways.  I doubt the NCAA will separate Paterno's record from Penn State's but they should consider it...or at least Fink About It.

4 comments:

  1. In regards to the Olympic medal count, I don't really care that much. I just figure the US should be up there because we do have great athletes, and like you pointed out we have the 2nd most overall. So to me it's not that surprising that us and china are leading the way.

    I don't really have much to say about the whole penn state story except for the Paterno family needs to let all of this go and realize its not about them and their father. And I will never believe that Joe didn't have any knowledge about any of this. He was the most powerful person at the university and he could have done something.

    The whole Tiger woods thing, who really knows what is going to happen. If he gets 5 more which for some people would is a career it would be pretty incredible. I'm actually tired of the whole thing, all I want to do is watch golf and watch him and just see what happens. Is Tiger back?? I'm sick of that question. Is he back to what?? 2000? Or is he back to playing better golf?? To me the question is just dumb.

    Anyhow great job again Kieth I'm definitely liking what you're doing. Keep it up!!

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kieth, enjoyed the read - feel the same on the medal count--not too surprised, and is to be expected. I don't know much about the Penn State situation, however you and Tyler both seem to have found the logical explanation for the situation...and I appreciate the information! I do have a little bit of an opinion on the golf thing...(being a Tiger fan) I, too, hope to see the: "is this the true golfer we once knew" aura fall--and him prove to the people that he is a great golfer and can perform under pressure as he once did. I would love to see him dominate the course as a good, consistent golfer, who could always execute the most difficult of shots.

    I gotta admit, I was hoping this blog post was a recap of tonight's preseason games so I could narrow down on some potential fantasy picks...suppose I'll have to do the research on my own. Expect more from the newly designed Portland team this year - we hope to be a 'Shocker.' ah ha ha!

    Kurt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh don't you worry, one post will be devoted to fantasy football! Kieth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the medal count is interesting and the U.S. should have the most every year when the games are held. I hope the Tiger doesn't reach Jack's record becuase he is a D-bag. And I don't think Penn State should vacate the wins.

    ReplyDelete